Data Engineering Intern
Zendesk builds software crafted to improve the customer experience. Your favorite brands use our products to engage you as a customer. We lead the industry with breathtakingly simple software, but we’re constantly innovating and can’t wait to outdo ourselves in the future!
At Zendesk, diversity, equity and inclusion are more than buzzwords, and bigger than the bottom line. It’s about our people knowing that they’re valued where they work. Employees at Zendesk work hard to build a culture where everyone belongs. Employee Communities play a vital role in creating communities that bring us together and ensure we feel supported at work.
Enterprise Data & Analytics (EDA) is a high-performance group chartered with delivering a beautifully simple analytics foundation and service that allows Zendesk to scale to a $3 Billion company with clearly defined, consistent metrics and a data architecture that provides all business operations with high quality and timely analytics for optimal decision making. Our business supports multiple products, each generating their own unique data. Product owners, engineers, and business analysts throughout the company rely on this data to help make informed decisions. We’ve built an Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) platform dedicated to support disparate internal and external data sources. The platform has been built leveraging mostly open-source tools on Google Cloud Platform.
The Data Engineer Intern will have an exciting opportunity to gain valuable experience and skills as part of the EDA Data Solutions team. Data Solutions is an agile, multipurpose team responsible for a broad array of activities supporting EDA and the company as a whole. Under the umbrella of analytics enablement, these activities are centered around solving some of the company’s most challenging data problems. Our work spans all Zendesk products and business domains represented in the Enterprise Data Warehouse. We collaborate with analyst, operations, engineering, and business-facing teams throughout the company to promote the acquisition of data-driven insights.
What you’ll be doing everyday:
- Get a front row seat to the EDA Data Solutions team’s work to promote the adoption, growth, and refinement of enterprise analytics products and services within a fast-growing company
- Communicate with data product owners, analysts, and other data consumers to translate business requirements into technical specifications
- Grow your technical skills while engaging with EDA teammates to create and refine tools and automation built on our analytics infrastructure stack to scale our data operations
- Develop good development, testing, and release habits within EDA’s production environment using our enterprise deployment tools and systems
- Develop processes that validate, automate, scale, and monitor data transformations (ETL)
- Gain broad exposure to our existing codebase by pressure-testing, systematizing, and refining what’s already been built
- Design and build a capstone project that contributes in some way to EDA’s infrastructure, services, or data products, to present at the end of the summer internship program.
What you need to succeed:
- Demonstrated drive and excitement to work with an internal analytics team in a fast-growing SaaS technology company
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral -- demonstrated ability to adapt communications to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong organizational skills and high attention to detail -- demonstrated ability to create, document, and improve processes
- Analytical, adaptive problem solving skills -- can create and refine solutions in unstructured, fast-changing situations
- Startup mentality -- strong ownership and follow-through on projects in a dynamic environment where lines of responsibility may not always be clearly defined
- Current undergraduate student or Spring 2021 graduate pursuing a degree in a quantitative field
- Advanced experience with computer science and coding; debugging, templatization, iterative development, deployment processes
- Experience with validating data and conducting exploratory data analysis using relational data (with tools/languages such as Excel, R, SaaS)
- Experience with concepts in data modeling, data warehousing, ETL design
- A solid understanding of at least one statistical tool / language (Python, R, Tensorflow, Jupyterhub) a plus
- Experience in visualizing data trends and presenting analysis results (e.g. with Excel, Tableau or another BI platform) a plus
At Zendesk, we believe that every great customer relationship stems from a conversation. So we built a customer service software company that designs solutions to foster better customer relationships. From large enterprises to startups, powerful, innovative customer experiences should be within reach for every company, no matter the size, industry or ambition. Zendesk serves more than 160,000 customers across a multitude of industries in over 30 languages. Zendesk is headquartered in San Francisco, and operates offices worldwide. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
We believe in service. Learn more about how we provide support to our local communities with volunteering, grants and product donations.
Zendesk is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster global diversity, equity, & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment and employees at Zendesk are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer. If you are based in the United States and would like more information about your EEO rights under the law, please click here.
Zendesk endeavors to make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities and disabled veterans pursuant to applicable federal and state law. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to submit this application, complete any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participate in the employee selection process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your specific accommodation request.
By submitting your application, you agree that Zendesk may collect your personal data for recruiting, global organization planning, and related purposes. Zendesk's Candidate Privacy Notice explains what personal information Zendesk may process, where Zendesk may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over Zendesk’s use of your personal information.