The Illinois Department of Public Health is seeking a highly motivated individual to serve as Media Administrator #2 for the Offices of Minority Health, Health Promotion, Finance and Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Performance Management in the Department of Public Health responsible for media policy development, planning, implementation and administration of all media services and operations for assigned IDPH Offices in collaboration with the Deputy Director for Office of Communications and Director. Serves as agency spokesperson and representative on behalf of IDPH to the media frequently addressing issues of a highly confidential and sensitive nature; serves as a coordinator and representative to the Governor’s Press Office and IDPH staff depending on nature of issue and coordinates partnerships with other agencies attending media events impacting multiple agencies and in the course of these duties is responsible for planning and programming of departmental activities, integrating the plans and projections of a number of related governmental divisions and media entities and the planning and scheduling of work programs associated with media relations; conducts analysis and research of potential resources and methods of enhancing media relations services for IDPH. Prepares Deputy Director and Director for speaking engagements by developing talking points, PowerPoint presentations and speeches.
1. Serves as agency spokesperson and representative on behalf of the Offices of Minority Health, Health Promotion, Finance and Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Performance Management in the Department to the media advocating, explaining and interpreting to both print and broadcast medias the content and implications of specific agency events, issues, inquires, ongoing news and other activities to maximize the accuracy, consistency and effectiveness of understanding of intent to all concerned parties frequently addressing issues of a highly confidential and sensitive nature.
- Available to media and IDPH staff after business hours.
- Serves as primary coordinator and representative to the Governor’s Press Office and various IDPH staff depending on nature of issue.
- Writes letters to the editor and statewide news releases to represent the agency’s response to media issues and inquires, ensuring the appropriate range of distribution of related informational materials.
- Develops talking points and media messaging for responses to various media inquiries and for news releases.
- Submits daily reports of media inquiries to senior IDPH managers and the Governor’s Press Office.
- Compiles daily news clips of pertinent stories that directly or indirectly mention or impact IDPH.
- Represents the agency in a variety of forums including personally and/or accompanying the Deputy Director, Director and other senior IDPH managers to media events to present agency positions.
- Represents IDPH on consortium teams.
- Provides counsel and advice to the Deputy Director, Director and senior staff in preparation for events.
- Identifies and orchestrates opportunities for media events including identifying and coordinating opportunities to partner with other agencies on events and activities.
- Conducts reviews of IDPH Freedom of Information Act requests received from media organizations and advises appropriate IDPH senior managers on appropriate methods of addressing the requests.
2. Serves as Media Administrator #2 for the Offices of Minority Health, Health Promotion, Finance and Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Performance Management in the Department of Public Health, performing policy-making, media relations and spokesperson functions.
Job Responsibilities (cont)
- Serves as an expert authority in collaboration with the Deputy Director, Director and other senior managers of IDPH in the assigned specific programs/areas of the Department in the development and implementation of policies, procedures and guidelines associated with media relations for the agency which fixes objectives and states principles controlling action towards operating objectives.
- Participates in planning and programming IDPH activities.
- Serves as media representative to the Deputy Director and Director of IDPH executive staff discussing agency programs, developing strategies, making policy decisions, reporting any current or foreseeable media issues which require attention by the executive staff.
- Researches media issues and existing and recently enacted laws and legislation at the local, state and federal levels for incorporation into operational policies.
3. Prepares Deputy Director and Director for speaking engagements, including keynote presentations at conferences, symposiums, health promotion events, and more by developing talking points, PowerPoint presentations, and speeches.
- Coordinates logistics of speaking engagement with partners and event hosts, along with Executive Assistant.
- Attends events to manage potential media engagement.
4. Serves as editor of all agency publications, adhering to agency style and branding guide, ensuring appropriate logo usage, and maintaining consistent IDPH voice in publications.
- Any publication that will be seen by audiences outside of state of Illinois staff must go through the review process.
- This process applies to all publications, design and print requests.
- These include pamphlets/brochures, newsletters, reports for the General Assembly, conference programs, and informational fact sheets and reports.
- Updates program directives as they relate to Publication Review process and modifies system, as appropriate.